Sunday, May 2, 2010

Homemade Bean and Cheese Burritos

Ingredients:
2 lb bag dry pinto beans
Salsa or Enchilada Sauce (I used Salsa this time)
Chili Powder to taste
Cumin Powder to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
16 Whole Wheat Tortillas (can use regular tortillas too-I used taco size)
Shredded Cheese
Olive oil (or any kind of oil)

Directions:
Soak and cook beans according to package.  I cooked mine in crockpot. 

For refried beans: Once beans are cooked and tender, add about 6 cups (a few cups at a time to oil in skillet and mash with potato masher).  Add water as needed to get the consistency you want for your beans.  Add salsa and seasonings to beans and stir. 

Put beans in tortilla, top with cheese, and wrap.  The ones I am putting in freezer, I then wrap with a paper towel first and then aluminum foil and put in freezer bags.


These were so yummy!  Much better than any canned version and I got about 3 meals from it plus extra beans in freezer (see note below).  We served with Homemade Guacamole and Chips!

**After using 6 cups of beans to make the refried beans for burritos, I still had beans leftover in crockpot that I froze for later meals!


No comments:

Post a Comment